7.28.2008

What’s My Line?

(Sisterly love in action)

There’s been a great deal of talk at our house about careers. Sierra, who will turn 10 soon, had settled on an animal training track. Mireya, nearly 6, was still focused on being a veterinarian, as long as she could run her vet clinic out of our house since she’s never going to move out.
But a few days ago at lunch, things changed.

“Mom,” said Sierra, contemplating her sandwich. “Do you know what I’m going to be when I grow up?”

“An animal trainer?”

She shook her head. “I think I could be a librarian. Because I’m really good at alphabetical order.”

I gave that some thought. “You know, I have noticed that you are good at alphabetical order.”

It was that moment that Mireya, who has been trying to convince her sister that they should find jobs where they could work together for their entire lives, saw her opening.
“Sierra! We could…” she bit her lip. “Um, could we work at the same school?”

Sierra rolled her eyes. The very idea of working with her pesky little sister is enough to trigger the gagging reflex, but I’ve encouraged her to be diplomatic. “If we are going to work at the same school, I’M going to be the principal.”

“Okay! Okay! Then I can be your … Assistant!”

Sierra sighed. “VICE principal. You can be the vice principal.”

Mireya jumped to her feet. “Yes! Yes! I can be the VICE principal.” She smiled broadly for a moment, then her face fell. She was back to chewing her lip. “Does that mean I have to… see the bad kids?”

“Yes,” said Sierra with principal-esque authority. “YOU have to see the bad kids. Especially when I’m out of the office.”

It’s nice to know they’ve already gotten such a good grasp of administrative dynamics in their first year at the same school.

Still the goal of having a job in the same place as her sister was apparently worth having to deal with the “bad kids,” because Mireya reluctantly agreed.

Who knows what the future holds for these sisters. No matter where they decide to spend their working lives, they will have the trials and tribulations of officedom down pat.