9.24.2009

Sparkly Diamonds and Micro Economics


It’s amazing what I don’t know.

Fortunately I have two very good teachers at home who are forever expanding my horizons.

For example, Mireya recently has learned that eyelid trick. You remember the one. Usually a third grade boy would do it, flipping his eyelid out to show the really gross red part. Of course Mireya is only in second grade, which would make her some what advanced in ‘gross eye lid.’

Certainly not what I was going for with all those classical CDs during my pregnancy, but what can you do?

She also showed me how you can get “sparkly diamonds” in your eyes.

“Squeeze your eyes shut really tight, mommy.”

“Like this?” I shut my eyes, looking for sparklies.

“Harder,” she says. “Or you can put your fingers on them like this.”

After I remove her fingers from practically gouging out my eyes I say “Oh, those sparkly diamonds.”


I also learned a great deal about the economy from my daughters. Sierra was teaching Mireya all about “making a living” using ice cubes from an ice chest.

“First you get a job. And you get money.” She poured ice into Mireya’s cup.

“Oooh!” said Mireya, already planning a shoe shopping spree, I could tell.

“But,” said Sierra with a sigh. “You lose your job.”

“What? Why?” asked Mireya, suddenly facing a shoeless future.

“You don’t know. These things happen,” said Sierra, fifth grade economist and philosopher. “So you move to Houston. That costs money.” She removed ice from Mireya’s cup.

Mireya regarded her cup with some dismay. “But it’s a good job, right?”

“Right. But you lose that one too.” Sensing that too many job related tragedies could lead to an end of game moment, Sierra found Mireya an even better job, one she apparently could hold on to.

In fact, Mireya and her ice cup managed to go on to not only have a career and family, but sent her own kids to college. And eventually the dark day came when she had to pay for her own funeral.

“But that’s okay, because now it’s the kids’ turn, right?” observed Mireya, her cup nearly empty.

An excellent point, I thought. It was enough to bring sparkly diamonds to my eyes.