11.04.2009

Super Mommy!


Usually I’m the one tapped for story telling in the car. But recently I got a real treat.

Sierra has been telling stories of adventurous dogs an their intrepid trainer (who bear a remarkable resemblance to her dog Dyno and herself, except for their ability to fly) for years. So it’s not surprising that her sister decided to start her own story line.

We were in the car alone, which allowed her to step out on stage on her own. “Do you want to hear a story?”

Relieved that I was not being called on to be imaginative while negotiating traffic I responded with great enthusiasm. “Yes! Yes!”

“Do you want to hear the story about Super Mommy?”

“Definitely. I definitely want to hear about Super Mommy.”

She took a deep breath. “Okay. This is the story about how Super Mommy got her powers.”

“Oooo. I need to hear about that. Maybe I can get some super powers.”

“Once upon a time, when Super Mommy was just Mommy she ate a salad that had poison.”

“Oh dear,” I said, a bit worried we were off to a bad start, although at least Mommy was having a healthy last meal. “Poison?” Had there been a little too much in the news about food safety lately?

“Yes. Poison. And the poison gave Mommy her super powers. The fairies put in the poison and that was how she got the power to fly. And that’s just one power!”

“I think you mean potion.”

“No, it was poison.”

I decided against the vocabulary lesson, intrigued by the possibilities of fairies sprinkling flying powder in my Caesar salad. “Okay. What other powers did Super Mommy get?”

She ticked them off on her fingers. “She’s faster than a cheetah. She can hear really good. She can be invisible.”

Yes, but can she find matching socks from the every growing pile of clean but still piled laundry, butter and precisely cut a waffle into precisely one inch squares, sign 17 separate permission slips with tiny typing, AND get the dishes into the dishwasher in two minutes flat so we aren’t late for school otherwise everyone loses their Lone Star Yellow perfect attendance Star and won’t let you forget it until High School if even then?

Super Mommy went on to save the world from evil cats all the way home.

I don’t know about you, but I feel safer knowing she’s out there. Maybe she can come by and help me sort socks.